10.26.2008

So I have been thinking a lot lately about copyrights. And I really wanted to post about this issue, but I didn't know what to say. And I guess I still don't. But I did run across something that has encouraged me to write.
So my friend Eric posted about this pastor Mark Driscoll who is a pastor of this church called Mars Hill in Seattle, WA. And this guy, Mark, wrote a book to help guys deal with their struggles. (Sort of like the book, Every Man's Battle, but much more forthright... and shorter). So he posted his entire book on the web so all you have to do is go to the site and download it and there it is! 
And I think this is a really cool thing because he really wants to help guys with their struggles, and he isn't make them pay for it. He isn't earning anything for it. A lot of churches have their sermons available for free downloads which is cool too. And our church in Tucson puts all their music online and they have done some audio books of the Bible which they give out for free too. 
I have a hard time when people write books and then charge for the study guides (so everyone has to buy a study guide, you can't just make copies of it for your group). I just think the study guide should be something that you can make copies of for your group. I know lots of people just make the copies anyway. 
Poor Rob Bell has been picked on a lot lately (although I don't actually feel bad), but I am going to pick on him again. :) So he does this Nooma videos. I don't even know Nooma means, but they are these like 10 minute videos which end up being like short sermons. And they are like videos...so the settings and actors are a "cool" way to make the sermon, well, "cooler". So I watched this video for a Bible Study I helped with. And at the end of the video there was this whole thing about not copying the video, blah blah blah. And I just thought, how sad. Not that I want to make copies of his cool videos...but I think you should be able to. Like if your goal is really to help people... A lot of people who need help can't afford to buy the "cool stuff". 
I don't know.  
I just think wisdom comes from God and He uses us to help communicate his awesomeness. So why are charging each other for it?

8 comments:

Steven said...

That is a great observation Adrienne, and I agree. Those copyrights have always rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, I can understand him charging for it enough to recoup the cost, but it kind of depresses me when people don't give stuff like sermons, etc. away for free...Tim Keller's sermons were like that at one point, and I didn't understand it.

Of course, I would prefer it if all copies of the Nooma videos were accidentally destroyed rather than distributed freely, but that's another issue.

Juanis Chanis said...

i think it's a phonetic spelling of pneuma which means something in greek.

i also agree.

Anonymous said...

Good work Jane!
According to Wikipedia:
The name NOOMA comes from a phonetic spelling of the Greek word pneuma (πνευμα) meaning 'wind,' 'spirit,' or 'breath.'

Juanis Chanis said...

wow adrienne! cool funky greek letters.

Mamita Betsy said...

I watched a Rob Bell Nooma online because I had never seen one. It was called "Rain" and it was really cool. what exactly is the problem with them? It seems like it would help people want to know Jesus.

Rod Hugen said...

I have trouble with doctors charging for their services. After all, medical knowledge is just part of the common wisdom that comes from God and healing is just a way that God communicates his awesomeness, so it doesn't seem right that doctors make money off of it. Besides, lots of poor people can't afford to pay for it. Sorry, but I couldn't resist. :)

During some hard times in my past I made a bit of money that bought my family food and paid my house payment from selling my copyrighted poetry and stories. Are you saying that musicians and artists and writers aren't allowed to earn a living? I know writing is hard work. I have spent many hours doing it.

Rod

Anonymous said...

Rod, you bring up a good point. And I am convicted. I guess I am thinking of people/organizations that have already made a lot of money. They are the ones who irritate me. I guess I am also showing my appreciation for the sacrifices churches make when they offer their sermons, Bible Studies, music etc... for free for the growth of the body of Christ. And you could definitely say the same of doctors... I know (after student loans are paid off) David hopes to work part time and then the other part offer his services at an inner city clinic of some sort...or overseas. I think it is essential to provide for our families and also give back. What that looks like for each person, and for us as the body of Christ, I have no idea. I guess that's the hope of my thoughts...to hear what others think and also allow God to convict and shape my heart. :)

Unknown said...

Specifically in the context of the New Testament, πνευμα is the word used for the Holy Spirit. That's all I've got ;-)