
In response to Steven's posts (www.geezwhathello.blogspot.com)....
The issue of abortion has become something close to home lately....mostly because not only did I give birth to a son, but a son who has down's syndrome. And I have learned a lot by this experience, including the fact that about 90% of women who find out during their pregnancy that they are probably (because the test has a high false positive) going to have a DS baby, abort. (And about 5,500 children are born with DS each year...so you do the math because I can't!) And I think a huge reason this happens is fear. Satan has gripped parents with an immense amount of fear about what the life of their unborn child will look like. Will my child walk? talk? learn? Will he be in a regular classroom? Hold a job? Move out? Will he be teased? Will he be loved? I learned a couple weeks ago of a woman who did the prenatal testing and when the doctor's came in to give her the positive results they told her of a room next door where they could "take care of it" right away.
Obviously DS accounts for a small number of abortions. So who else is aborting? Obviously other physical and mental defects account for abortions. Then there are the single moms, the young moms, and the scared moms and the moms who are having lots of sex with no one special. What do they all have in common? Fear. Fear is paralyzing. Maybe that's why we go to wars too. (but I am not going to get into that debate right now).
Abortions are the result of broken, hurting people. And the abortions don't fix their brokenness. I wonder the number of moms who go through an abortion and end up in therapy or experience severe depression or end up suicidal?
And so my question is, where is the church? Well, we're standing on street corners with signs saying PRO LIFE and condemning women for aborting. We have bumper stickers on our cars. We are on TV spouting verses and preaching.
But I think we are called to a very different ministry. Women aren't going to stop getting abortions (legal or not) because of words spoken, or read. Women are going to stop getting abortions when we band together and help her. When we show the family other beautiful children who enjoy life...children who happen to have Down's Syndrome, when we help the single mom into a home and offer her childcare and help her with meals, when we help heal the broken women who are seeking sex to fill a void that can only be filled with Jesus' love and grace. I think the church has done enough preaching about their belief system, and it's time to start loving...really loving and offering ourselves to wounded people. To really show ourselves supportive.
I know women who have had abortions. And I know they regret it and it's painful. And I know they felt alone, scared, and full of fear. And the abortions have had serious consequences for their lives.
And so when it comes to voting I will be bold (although I could change my mind on this statement) and say it's not an election about abortions. No election is. I think politics are crappy and I don't get them and I haven't seen many good things happen because of them. And although I am prolife, I don't see how this election is going to save lives.
This election is not going to stop the severe pain that causes someone to walk into a clinic and give up their baby. This election is not going to heal the women who have already made that choice and pay for it everyday.
May we begin praying for ways to reach the broken. May we start sharing in one another's pains.
I don't really know how I can help these women. I don't know where they are...although with the high number of abortions accounted each year, I can assume they are my next door neighbors, and friends. And so I guess I just need for God to continue to help me find these lonely, broken women, and love on them with all I have.
And maybe if they held my beautiful beautiful son they might see what they are missing out on.
I want to add I understand that it is painful for those of us who are prolife to imagine the number of innocent children aborted each year. I find the numbers overwhelming. But I just see the need to respond in a different way. I guess it's kind of like the time when Jesus confronted the group of people stoning the adulterous woman and he said something like, "Will he who is without sin throw the first stone." Of course later Jesus confronted the sin, but first he pointed out their lack of love. So I don't know what that means for the issue of abortion, but it must mean something.
Anyway, I should say I have never been into politics... and so if I sound like I don't know what I am talking about politically, it's because I don't. I just know that we need to be loving people more than we are.
7 comments:
Adrienne-Christians are also the ones running the Crisis Pregnancy Centers, who offer post-abortion grief counseling. We also run Christian Family Care Agency, Bethany Agency, etc. to offer abortion alternatives with counseling so that women don't have to be alone and scared during their decisions. We aren't all standing on the street corner with the signs (I know you know that...;) I also have a daughter that could have easily been aborted as she was from an unplanned pregnancy, the product of rape. I am so thankful to God that our birth mother had the conviction not to abort her...what a loss to this world! ;)
Andrea
By the by, I am off in the morning to talk to new staff/volunteers of the CPC here in Tucson (eastside) to assist them in presenting adoption as an option in their counseling. Wish me well...
Andrea
No, you're right. :) I think it's so great what you do and I so often talk about you. :) Not only your story with M and E, but you're devotion to connect to their birth families and minister to them. I think you're amazing. After so much pain it would be easy to want to adopt the children and move on, but you continue to reach into their hearts and try to offer them love. It has really changed my perspective and my desires with foster care. (Meaning I desire much more to help the birth parents and be supportive to them rather than not believe in them). Anyway, thanks for adding your thoughts!
Nice blog. I think we need to be more tolerant of people's decisions. Love enables tolerance. Who are we to judge? Who are we to tell a woman which path to take in her life? I am pro-choice, not because I necessarily believe in abortion, but because I believe in a woman's right to decide what is best for her, her baby, her life. Furthermore, I think that a person's vote should not be based solely on abortion. Think about the other factors that affect people's lives, like the environment, government funded programs, and war. Then, you decide for whom you'll vote.
So, when a woman chooses abortion, she is saying 'it is best for my baby to die'? Wow...that is a big statement. I had always equaled the woman choosing abortion to I am choosing what is best for ME. I hadn't imagined a mother saying it is best for my child to DIE. I would like to know what goes into the decision to be able to say and think that.
Andrea
The question above is even coming from me, a person who had abortion enter my mine. I was living a lifestyle at one point where I briefly thought I may have to look at that option due to the consequences an unplanned pregnancy would have on me and my family. During that time, it never entered my mind that death would be better for the baby, but would be for me as I could go on like my choices didn't have consequences and I wouldn't have to be so scared of those consequences.
Who are we to judge? But a woman does judge if that child is 'worth it' when she decides between abortion and other alternatives. It is not easy to live out that choice whatever direction the woman goes.
Since this is my blog I would like to say the following things:
1. This post was NOT to debate the issue of abortion. I think abortion is wrong.
2. This post WAS to discuss the political debate and how the church does a lot of declaring the views of abortion and not enough of supporting women to help them continue with their pregnancies...so they can keep them with the support of their community or give them up for adoption...also with the support of their community.
Post a Comment