10.15.2009

on a remarkable woman...

So it's been a rough week... I found out earlier this week that Marcheta died on Saturday. I was hired as her companion when we first moved to Ann Arbor- and was with her 3 days a week assisting in her home for about a year and a half. Unfortunately my grandparents lived very far away from me and so I have few memories of them, and so Marcheta quickly filled that void and found her way into my heart. We had some really wonderful times together. She lived in an apartment at a retirement center and it had these huge windows that overlooked a large grassy area with several trees. Her table was set up so we would have breakfast and watch the birds fly from tree to tree every morning. Marcheta had an extensive collection of exquisite jewelry and I loved finding the perfect pieces to match both outfit and season. She was a very encouraging and optimistic woman- always looking for the best in people. At her funeral today her daughter, Carol, shared this beautiful story of how a few weeks ago they were sitting at dinner in the retirement center's "restaurant" and there was a man who was coughing very loudly and repulsively... it was keeping Carol from enjoying her time and she wanted so much more for her mother- wanted a more elegant and peaceful place to enjoy a meal together. And so they finished and Carol quickly wheeled Marcheta out of the cafeteria and as they passed this elderly man Marcheta reached out and touched the man's shoulder and said, "It's OK, you're doing a great job..." It moved Carol's heart as she reflected on the kind of mother she has.... and it's a story I wanted to share because it is a true reflection of the kind of woman Marcheta was. I could write story after story of this woman I grew to dearly admire and adore, but I will treasure the stories in my heart and leave you all with a few pictures. Carol's husband, Chuck, talked about how often times when people age and they lose so much of what defined them in their prime you are often left with the essence of a person, and the essence of Marcheta was a woman who was full of optimism, grace, and courage. I genuinely hope that when I age and if I lose my ability to walk or see, am in great pain, or lose my ability to think and remember who people are, that what my loved ones are left with is what I got to experience when I was with Marcheta... and that is great optimism, grace, and joy.



3 comments:

Adonica said...

Beautiful Adrienne. Thank you for sharing your memories of this dear woman and a bit of her life with me.

Love, Mom

Mamita Betsy said...

A very special lady...she always had time for people--she taught me how to sew--it was my dress for the eighth grade party :)

Rachel Murphy said...

Your post reminds me of one of my favorite quotes by Mary Anne Radmacher:
She danced. She sang. She took. She gave. She served. She loved. She created. She dissented. She enlivened. She saw. She grew. She sweated. She changed. She learned. She laughed. She shed her skin. She bled on the pages of her days. She walked through walls. She lived with intention.