4.20.2009

Me, the crier and other updates

Lots of cool things happening here in Detroit. David and I are both being dicipled- Lisa disciples me and Matt disciples David. They are great. They were missionaries in Mexico for a couple years so we have a lot in common. Also, they are the leaders of our small group- which include another 2 couples. We now have a Sunday service at 11 AM. I really like it. Eric is a really good pastor. He's very good at what he does. :) I am going to be teaching the 4th-6th grade Sunday school once a month, so that's exciting. We are using the Desiring God ministries for kids by John Piper. I haven't seen the curriculum yet, but I will be teaching in 2 weeks- so I better get on that! Also, I am starting a Mama Club (Mack Ave Moms Alive in Christ. :) on Wednesday from 10-12 at our place. Bentley is the oldest of 6 babies in our church- plus there are many other young children. So we'll be connecting to love on our kiddos and talk about issues that are linked to motherhood- food, diapers, discipline, how to raise our children in a Godly way, etc... I am soooo excited! It will also be a good way to get to know moms in the neighborhood.
We move into our hippie commune in like 12 days!!!! CRAZY! I am so excited. Today we had everyone over for dinner- I made beef barley stew (I used venison instead of beef) and it was delicious! Side note.... so we had everyone ever to talk about all the details of living together... Just to give you an idea of what moving into a hippie commune looks like here are some of the things we discussed:
- Food- do we share it all? What kinds of foods are staple foods to have in the house
-Furniture- we have this, you have that, what are we bringing???
- Who will be in charge of paying what bills
- we need to open up our joint checking account
-get the security system set up on the house
- internet, blah blah blah
- where will we put this, and that
- how many people will be eating on average together- it will be common to have an additional 4-5 people for dinners on a weekly basis-
-and the list goes on and on and on
It's exciting though. We are going to be sharing our lives with people who love the Lord and have a heart for the broken in Detroit. We are excited to serve our community together. Our home is going to be a refuge. So yeah, good things are happening here.
Well, we are going to play a game of Settlers- it wouldn't be a Monday night without it!

Oh you're probably wondering why I titled it: Me, the Crier- so I gave the announcement at church yesterday about the Mom's group and I talked about how the heart behind starting the group was because so many moms I know feel like they aren't doing it right or that they're failures- and so I wanted us to get together and love on each other and share resources. And while giving the silly announcement about an exciting group, I cried. That's me in a nutshell.

2 comments:

Rachel Murphy said...

When I read the title, I assumed you were talking about you and Bentley. And, I thought to myself, 'That's weird. Adrienne always says that Bentley rarely cries.' Well, now I know that you're the cry baby in the family, not Ben. :) I'm amazed by everything that's heading your way! You'll have to keep me posted.

The D-town Eggers said...

I love you, Adrienne... in and out of that nutshell. :-)