So read my previous blog first- I didn't want my post to be too long to scare people away from reading!
There is no doubt in my mind that God has called us to Detroit... and God has made it clear from the beginning. Yet we ran to our Tarshish- Ann Arbor- and while running we ended up in the belly of a big fish. Jonah was in the fish for 3 days- we were in the fish for 18 months. And it took the same kind of repenting and calling out to God to follow the Lord to Detroit. So here we are. And we're happy here. And God is working here. Yet, like Jonah, I run outside the city, sit on my rock and pout. "Why have you brought us here, Lord? Why didn't you want to use us in Tucson? I am begging for the comfort of friends and family." And I know God is conversing with me- I am not turning my back on him- just sulking about my current state.
So God provides a vine from me to comfort me from the sun- this translates to the YMCA, friendships, a wonderful place to live, etc... and the worm comes to eat it all away- although these things haven't gone anywhere, sometimes in my sulking I don't enjoy the good things God has provided me with... so the worm may as well come along and eaten them away.... at least then maybe I would recognize God's greatness even more.
So there it is... my sin out there in the open. I am still rejecting God's calling...
A Week Later....
I have been saving this post for awhile- first I wanted to edit it, but that will just take too long... so I am going to post as is.... but I want to add a few things.
1. Our time in Ann Arbor was not a waste. We learned a lot about generosity, how to be a servant, and many other things. We also developed some (hopefully) life long friendships with wonderful people.
2. I am praying more diligently to get excited about living in Detroit. I LOVE our new church and new community- and now that Spring has arrived- my spirits are lifted more and more.
No comments:
Post a Comment